Hurray… Gone are the days of turmoil and chaos… A twelve-month-old baby is now preparing for his first birthday, celebrating his one-year anniversary with his parents and family, a lot of first things happen: first words, first steps, first friends.
It has been an exciting and amazing year for both mom and baby. You must have realized well your role dear mother and become more confident and more proud of the amount of effort you put in. Undoubtedly, you still have some questions about your baby’s development this month, what should your twelve-month-old baby learn, how to discipline him and what activities are best for a young baby of his age? As you celebrate your baby’s first birthday, we will answer these questions and more, so don’t miss the opportunity.
I see you feeling passionate and nostalgic for your little one’s sweet adventures, your baby is still a young and tender baby and still has a long way to go before the second, third, and fourth years. And have a lot of fun and many adventures waiting for you in the coming months and years.
According to normal rates, the child grows about 1.5 to 2.5 cm per month, and if your twelve-month-old baby is still maintaining this rate a growth spurt may occur and your baby will gain weight and height in this month. The length of the baby in the twelfth month ranges between 70 to 80 cm, while the weight ranges between 8 to 12 kg.
Your twelve-month-old baby senses
- Your baby’s hearing is now highly valid, as he listens to those around him more attentively than he used to.
- His cognitive ability has increased, and he loves to look and listen at the same time, which makes the time of reading books and stories with you fun and interesting.
- Your baby loves to touch different things, especially soft fur and loves to play with water when bathing and trying to hold the water with his hand.
- Your baby continues to explore everything with his hands and mouth.
- Likes and desires certain types of food and distinguish between sweet and salty.
Your twelve-month-old baby skills
- Sitting: Your baby sits for long periods and can turn left and right to reach his toys.
- Standing: Many babies are able to stand for a few moments without support during this month.
- Walking: One out of every four babies walks, so you don’t have to worry if your baby hasn’t walked yet. Pediatricians have indicated that the average age of babies when they walk their first steps is from 9 months to 17 months, so it is too early to judge your baby’s skills negatively or claim his development is delayed.
- Speaking: Your baby can pronounce some simple words, the most important of which are: mama, papa, and other words depending on the environment around him.
- Understanding and Perception: Your twelve-month-old baby is trying to understand the environment around him and link things together. The baby begins to associate words with their connotations, and also understands simple commands, and pays attention to signs. Also, this age is very suitable to know the meaning of the words yes and no.
- Dear mother, you will also notice that your child pulls you towards the kitchen when he is hungry.
Your twelve-month-old baby’s food and nutrition
Dear mother, you can stop giving your baby a bottle while still providing milk but with a cup. As for breastfeeding, the mother should continue breastfeeding as long as it does not affect her health and her baby wants it.
If you have weaned your baby, you can now offer cow’s milk or regular milk to your baby, as it is the best alternative to formula milk at the age of one year, and it is safe if your baby drinks it and you are still breastfeeding. Cow’s milk contains ample amounts of Vitamin D which is important for promoting the development of your baby’s bones and teeth. It is important that you start by offering a small glass of milk to your baby.
Continue to provide balanced meals to meet your baby’s needs for different nutrients, which pushes towards strengthening his immunity and improving his health. Fruits and vegetables are among the most important nutrients that you should make your baby eat with love and not against his will. Carbohydrates such as pasta and rice also provide energy and vitality.
Your twelve-month-old baby’s appetite may decline at the age of one year and he does not eat much food, but when your baby feels hungry, he will tell you his own way or lure you to the kitchen.
Your twelve-month-old baby’s sleep
A twelve-month-old baby sleeps about 13 to 14 hours a day. And about 10 to 11 at night, and one three-hour nap during the day.
How does the child sleep in the twelfth month?
It is important to get your baby into a bedtime routine that he gets used to and knows that it is time for sleeping, such as reading a book or a story, singing a song, placing him on your lap, and then turning off the lights.
Your twelve-month-old baby’s health
Do not be late for the medical examination of your baby. This month, the pediatrician makes a complete physical examination of your baby, as well as a laboratory examination of the blood to ensure the level of iron. Do not hesitate to seek advice, or if you have doubts about your baby’s development, changes in his mood, and lack of sleep, tell him about it.
The vaccinations that the child receives in the twelfth month include the following:
- MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella)
- HepA – hepatitis A
- chicken pox
- HepB (hepatitis B)
- PCV 13 (Inflammatory Pneumonia)
What are the best activities for your twelve-month-old baby?
Baby learns more about the environment and the community around them every day, so you might be wondering: What should I teach my one-year-old? Dear Mom, here are some ideas:
- Teach your child new words: Use books and stories with pictures and drawings to help your baby learn the names of animals and the sounds they make. Also point out the different parts of the body, such as the hands, face, hair, and feet to encourage the baby to learn the appropriate words for each. And don’t forget to teach him the names of friends and family members.
- Encourage your baby to be independent and self-reliant: Your twelve-month-old baby will want to do things independently. Whether he wants to take off his shoes or use the spoon to eat rice, be flexible and let him have some freedom.
- Walking and shopping: Take your kid with you on a walk to get to know the people and the outside environment. It is also interesting to take him shopping and add fun.
- Celebrating his first birthday: You should make your kid feel valuable and boost his self-confidence and hold a celebration for him in which you invite family and friends. Even if you don’t have a party, be sure to celebrate your baby’s first birthday. It was an interesting trip and you both deserve some cake and dessert.
An exciting and exciting phase of your twelve-month-old baby’s life is over, but are you ready for what’s ahead? Many adventures await you, as your baby is still growing and learning a lot from you, so make sure to follow healthy habits and everything that benefits you and your baby.